Friday, January 14, 2011

Small Projects

Right now I am really loving doing small projects.  It is such a sense of accomplishment in an otherwise too busy and hectic life.  I hope to take on some larger projects before too long, and get back into some clothing making and finish some quilts.  I certainly have enough projects lined up to keep me busy for the rest of the year (and beyond....) on that front.

The beauty of doing small projects is I can try different and new techniques, they don't take huge chunks of time, and I have something useful at the end.  In the zippered bag below I've used new techniques for the zipper installation and for the machine appliquéd letter.  I also did a little free motion quilting.  This pattern is from Atkinson Designs book called Fat Quarter Fonts.  



The drawstring bag below is also from Atkinson, and she uses a cool technique for doing the casing for the drawstring.  I can see a lot of these in the future - they will make great gifts and are a canvas for some embroidery, an appliquéd design or decorative stitches before the final construction phase.  This one I made for myself as a shoe bag out of fun fabric I had in the stash.  


This past weekend I finished a Halloween table topper, and I'll post about it later.  The inspiration for all came from the Groovy Girls Club meetings at Shiisa Quilts in Bloomington, Indiana.

Have a great weekend and do some sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment